EMPOWERING SAFETY FOR ALL
The Anu and Naveen Jain Women’s Safety XPRIZE will award $1,000,000 to the most accurate and most usable technology solution which can:
- Trigger location-accurate alerts in emergency situations even in low-connectivity scenarios
- Transmit alerts to a network of responders, and rapidly provide a response to the user within 90 seconds that help is on its way
- Exhibit a novel approach to building or combining existing and/or emerging technologies to better connect users and responders under $40 of the device cost
The Competition Guidelines is a detailed competition document designed to provide prize specific information surrounding the Grand Challenge, the testing parameters, and the competition timeline. Please see Schedule for dates and deadlines.
The Women’s Safety XPRIZE is divided into several rounds of competition:
- Qualification Round or Round 1 : Detailed Design Evaluation
- Final Round: Deployment-Ready Prototype Testing
- Round 2A: Deployment-Ready Prototype Testing with a physical prototype of the device
- Round 2B: Usability testing of proposed solutions
Teams will have approximately four and a half months to develop a detailed, complete product design that addresses the Prize Statement. Twenty-five qualifying teams will be given an additional six months to create a deployment-ready prototype. Based on physical testing of the deployment-ready prototype, five teams will then be selected for a usability field test. One Grand Prize Winner will be announced in June 2018
WHO CAN PARTICIPATE?
XPRIZE believes that solutions can come from anyone, anywhere. Scientists, engineers, academics, entrepreneurs and innovators with new ideas from all over the world are invited to form a team and register to compete. To participate, a team may need to recruit additional experts and can add new members at any time throughout the competition. Competing teams will own the Intellectual Property of their submissions.
To ensure that the competition is fair to competing teams, XPRIZE will appoint the following entities:
Scientific Advisory Board
XPRIZE will form a panel of relevant Advisors to serve on the Scientific Advisory Boards for the Competition. This Board will remain in place throughout the Competition to advise XPRIZE regarding all aspects of the design and implementation of the Competition. The duties and responsibilities of the Scientific Advisory Board may include assisting with the establishment of qualifications for prospective Judges, recommending and approving members of the Judging Panel, and providing input related to testing protocols and judging criteria.
XPRIZE will recruit judges, chosen by the Scientific Advisory Board. XPRIZE will seek to ensure that the expertise of the judging panel is diverse enough to fairly evaluate the various technologies and approaches that the teams may develop during the competition. The duties and responsibilities of the Judging Panel will include, but not be limited to evaluating teams’ compliance with the Competitor Agreement, Competition Guidelines, the Rules and Regulations for the purposes of the Competition, awarding of points and selection of teams and entries that will proceed to each subsequent phases of the Competition.
Independent Auditors and Consultants
To conduct a fair & transparent competition, XPRIZE may hire independent auditors and consultants at different stages of the challenge. These auditors and consultants will be appointed on the recommendation and approval of the Scientific Advisory Board.
The role of the auditors will be to ensure fair testing by either being present on site or monitor the testing remotely. The roles of the consultants will be to help XPRIZE create systems for an effective and transparent remote and on site testing.
Competition Information Will Be Available In The Following Documents:
- Competition Guidelines (PDF): Describes the requirements and parameters of the competition and is binding on teams as referenced in, and as part of, the Competitor Agreement.
- Competitor Agreement: Legally binding contract that contains the requirements of the competition. All competing teams selected in Round 1 must sign this in order to compete. This document will be made available to the teams shortlisted in Round 1.
- Rules and Regulations : Testing protocols, specific rules, dates/times, and other details that will govern the competition and will be binding on teams.
During the progress of the competition, XPRIZE makes updates and changes on the above set of documents and keep them updated from time to time. Any update or change is duly notified to all the participating teams.
Please contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org if you want to share your feedback or comments on these guidelines or if you have any questions about this competition.